Thursday, April 5, 2012

My Favorite Sci-Fi Television Shows

Boy, am I ever showing my age with this list!  And no doubt I will irritate many by leaving out some big favorites like Stargate and Battlestar Galactica (the newer version, not the 1970’s cheese-fest).  I’m sure they were awesome as well, but I never saw either of these.  Hey, I’m a busy chick.  I don’t have much time these days to watch television.

But I watched plenty back in the day, so without further ado, Tamara’s Five Fave Sci-Fi Television Shows:

5.  Alien Nation

I have yet to see the film that inspired this one.  The television series dealt heavily with racism (as in humans vs. aliens) and the attempt to find a balance between fitting in and remaining true to one’s culture.  It was a little preachy sometimes, but also captivating and entertaining.

4.  Babylon 5

I got swept up in this one when I worked in a television station that showed it.  I absolutely adored the first four seasons of this show.  Sometimes it even overshadowed my addiction to Star Trek:  The Next Generation.  The characters were wonderful in their flawed personalities.  The fifth season with the new commander didn’t do a thing for me, however.  I still don’t know how the series ended because the line-up changes were simply too much for me to swallow.

3.  The Twilight Zone

Ah, Serling’s masterpiece.  Whether it was Shatner screaming about critters on the airplane’s wing or Billy Mumy being the creepy kid with telekinetic powers, you never knew where this show would take you.  The classic still holds its own today.

2.  Star Trek:  The Next Generation

“Make it so.”  Yeah, it started a little slow.  Starfleet was a little too stiff and self-righteous.  But moments like the Borg assimilating Picard and Worf insisting, “I am not a merry man!” gave it shining moments that even the original couldn’t approach.

1.  Star Trek                                                            

And speaking of the original … I grew up on this show (in syndication – hey, I’m not THAT old!).  The adventures of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy will forever hold a special place in my heart, no matter how dramatic the pauses between lines, no matter how many chicks Kirk boffed, no matter how many redshirts died horribly.  It was fun to watch and cheer the crew of the Starship Enterprise.  This will probably remain my sentimental favorite forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment