Tuesday, February 18, 2014

February is Women in Horror Month

In celebration of Women in Horror Month, I’d like to share a few of my faves.  I’m not bothering with the damsels in distress, of which there are too many in the genre.  No, I’m talking the baddest of the bad girls, the chicks who serve up the screams.  Take a bow, ladies.  You are awesome.

Samara Morgan from ‘The Ring’

 


Played by Daveigh Elizabeth Chase (who also voiced ‘Lilo’ in the Disney classic Lilo and Stitch), Samara didn’t have to do much to freak me out.  Just the image of her sitting there with her hair in her face or crawling through the television screen was enough to give me the willies.  Eek.

 Carrie White from ‘Carrie’

 
I didn’t bother to watch the re-make.  Sissy Spacek could not have been improved upon as the lonely teenager with telekinetic powers.  She was equally sympathetic and awful.
‘The Bride of Frankenstein’

 
Unfortunately, more people think about the hair than the wonderful performance in the sequel to ‘Frankenstein’.  Can you even name the actress?  It was Elsa Lanchester, folks.  Show her the love and re-visit this classic as soon as possible.
Annie Wilkes from ‘Misery’

 
When I read Stephen King’s book, I was sure there was no way anyone could bring the crazy-fan menace to life nearly well enough on the big screen.  I love it when I’m proved wrong about such things.  Kathy Bates amazed everyone to the tune of an Academy Award for her portrayal.
Regan from ‘The Exorcist’

 
Just look at that picture.  Linda Blair’s performance and makeup gave me nightmares for weeks.  She was the freakiest of them all for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment