Tuesday, December 3, 2013

What’s Up, December?

Here we are, at the end of one year and looking toward 2014.  I see my writing plate is overflowing as I contemplate the next 12 months.  So what’s up with my projects?  I’m so glad you asked.

 
The Willow and the Stone got an awesome review recently.  “The writing is crisp and riveting, the plot sometimes shocking, often heartbreaking and ultimately hopeful. It reveals the darkest places in the human heart and the most admirable.”  You can see the entire review at http://www.manicreaders.com/index.cfm?disp=bookdetail&bookid=23928.

 
 


It made enough of an impression that the reviewer quickly read the sequel Willow in the Desert.  The review for that one was even more glowing:  “The full-on pace of this continuing story has picked up, giving the reader a jam-packed action-adventure that rates as one of the best I’ve ever read.”  http://www.manicreaders.com/index.cfm?disp=reviews&bookid=33144.  Yeah, I’m pretty stoked about that.

I got quite excited recently when one of the scripts I’d placed on a promotional website caught the eye of a production/management company.  It’s hard to get any attention from Hollywood, especially from a company with the connections this one has.  Not only did they download the synopsis and treatment, but they went for the script itself.  There are scriptwriters out there who would give up an arm just for the chance to pitch to these people...and they’re reading my script.  Of course, it’s not time to break out the champagne yet.  It could be months before I hear from them – if I ever hear from them at all.  That’s how they roll in Hollywood, unfortunately.  It’s still fun to dream. 

Speaking of Tinseltown, I’m in the midst of sending out tons of queries to agents for representation.  I have little anticipation anyone will bite.  It’s all part of the game, and there is always the outside chance someone will get interested in one of my projects.  I’ve been told it’s better to have a bad agent who does nothing for you than no agent at all, simply because studio execs automatically respect writers with agents more.  Maybe I’ll find an up-and-comer to hook up with.  If they’ll let me use their letterhead, I’ll call it good. 

I wrote a few weeks back about planning to produce my own film if no one buys it.  I’m about a quarter through writing the first draft of ‘Lullaby’, a crime thriller that is based here in our neck of the woods.  This thing is the equivalent of a roller coaster with more twists and turns than even I anticipated going into it.  I’m psyched about this story. 

I’m also in the midst of character development for a YA fantasy series.  Tentatively titled ‘Dragonfly’, it takes place in the land of Faerie.   

Busy, busy, busy.  It’s going to be a jam-packed year.  I hope everyone had a wonderful 2013 and will enjoy an even better 2014.  I know I’m looking forward to what comes next!

No comments:

Post a Comment